On a Quest to Find Harry Potter

Monday, March 28, 2005

Swiss Miss Girl Not to be Found

Hey all....I just got back from Switzerland yesterday and after a long night's rest and a relaxing day in Kensignton Gardens, I figured I'd tell you all about my adventures. Rowdy (rhymes with Cloudy) and I arrived in Basel, Switzerland on a beautiful sunny wednesday. we spent some time walking around and getting a feel for the town, grabbed some lunch, and then took a nice nap because we had decided to sleep in the airport the night before. however, i did not get a wink of sleep. some people were actually snoring from sleeping and there i was on the cold tile floor miserable!! anyhoo, after our nap we went to this jazz jam session at a bar. It was okay, but we were still pretty wiped out so we headed home about 11. the next day we ventured all around the city. it is such a super cute city and we saw the basics like market areas, little stores, old churches, a river that goes through the town, etc. I'm not used to hills because London is awfully flat...kinda like kansas!! I definitely got my exercise though. that night we decided to go to this bar that supposedly has some diferent artists playing, but we were there an hour and a half and there was nothing. the Swiss defnitely need to learn a thing or to about night life because that play was DEAD at night. No atmosphere. so once again, we headed home pretty early.
friday was definitely my favorite day, because we took a train ride to Freiburg, Germany. it was amaaaazing. it was also the most beautiful day!! OMG. the town is surrounded by the different mountain ranges of germany, switzerland, and france so it is just tucked away ever so neatly. the little square areas were so cute, the towers, and everything. they also have this smaller river that goes trhough the area and then teeny tiny water ways all down every street. very cool. we took a break from walking around to get teh best chocolate sundae of my life as we soaked up the sun. after that, we started walking and found a mountain you could climb up to see the entire town. we walked up this really steep mountain and rested on this big stone overlook for awhile and then climbed up even higher to get a better view. we then looked behind us to see this tiny tower up even higher you could climb so we climbed up there too!! the view up there was breathtaking! there was a 360 degree view and you could see the mountains forever! the sun was also so bright and just gorgeous. we then started walking down and found a lift so we rode that down to a nice park garden area. we chilled there for awhile before walking across the town to see this otehr beautiful church. we then grabbed soem dinner before getting back on the train. that night we were both just exhausted so i took a shower since i was icky and we read and played cards.
Saturday, we took a train ride to france and hung out in Mulhouse. it was a pretty cute french town, but it was torn up for a new tram system so that kinda blew. it was also a little rainy too. it has a big suburban area and that was cool to see. it wasn't like despearte housewives though people. :) we got this super yummy waffles with nutella because we couldn't find a crepes stand and we were tired to look for one. we sat in front of a church with a carosel in front of us. it was a crazy carosel because it has the basic horses around it and then all of a sudden tehre was a harley davidson motorcycle on it. i thought it was pretty humourous! we headed back to basel around 5 or so.
that night we decided to just ride random trams to see where they would take us. it sounds dumb, but it was actually pretty fun. we stopped at one place and went to a gas station to get a coke. we found a huge group of people outside this place and we were going to see waht was going on and then it downpoured so we headed back to the hostel.
sunday morning we took a bus to a small swiss town, Liestal. we definitely passed a place called Saline which made me think of Salina!!! I miss that place! it was pretty rainy that morning but we still enjoyed walking around. it was literally in the side of a mountain with fog all around. it was pretty cute! we then headed back to basel and walked around the town a little more one last night. we sat by the river for a long time just soaking up the views before going to the airport.
I was eager to get back "home" though, I have to admit that. you can imagine how frustrated I got when it took like 4 hours to get from the airport to my flat. i then was excited to see my flatmates and of course none of them were home when i got there. I was not in the best of moods......however......one thing did make me awfully happy yesterday and that was............Easter!!! Rejoice for He HAS risen!! That made me smile all day long!!
in fact, my roommie is making a later easter dinner now so i better go back to my flat and eat it.....so all in all, switzerland was great. although I don' t understand german at all because it sounds like people are always mad at one another and I didn't find the Swiss Miss Girl, I had a blast. I got tons of chocolate and made up a word: whtzngargen. it means, "where are you going?" i suggest using it as much as possible!!
well, just a month more here in london and then i'll be home! I can't wait to see you all. much love!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home